You should write a blog dedicated to your awkward teaching stories. I know there are lots. and I need more laughing (at you) in my life.”

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lately class has been a little ho-hum, except for a more disturbing event, so I thought that I would catch you up with a few of my favorites so far:


*I mispronounced a student’s name, Quire, as “queer” the first day of school.

*One of my students showed me a picture that he drew of the small town my school is located in. It was basically cornfield, cornfield, cornfield, and a McDonalds in the very corner.  Fairly accurate.

*I have a semi-cranky old janitor who usually cleans my room.  After a staff meeting where we were told that the school was on academic probation, I told the janitor about it and this is what he said: “I’m not surprised.  If we were in China or one of them places, we would take most of these dumb kids out there (gestures to courtyard) and shoot ‘em in the head.  That would keep ‘em in line.”  

*A mouse is temporarily liberated from his fate as snake food and runs under the door into my classroom.  Of course, pandemonium ensues. One of my students swears he will not rest until he catches it.  The mouse is cornered behind my desk for a good 10 minutes.  Apparently a similar thing happened to my friend Jenny who teaches next door…except one of her students accidentally squished it like a tube of toothpaste under her shoe.

*One of my ditziest students asks me randomly during a mitosis lab, “Miss Fix, how do you heal a broken heart?”

*One of my students, “You actually live here, don’t you.  I’m going to prove to it.”

*I guess during observation, my principal tallied how many times I said "OK".  Apparently it was 32.  To be fair, class is 88 minutes long and I like to stay on task.  However, while he was discussing this observation, I  replied, "Ok. Ok, I'll work on it."

2 comments:

  1. I am super jealous that your teaching experience is sooooooo much funnier than mine :(

    My wish is that someday we teach in the same district so my students grow up to have you someday (whether that is as a park ranger guide, a college prof. or a high school teacher).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so love to have your students lol. some day.

    ReplyDelete