You should write a blog dedicated to your awkward teaching stories. I know there are lots. and I need more laughing (at you) in my life.”

Monday, November 29, 2010

Intro

You should write a blog dedicated to your awkward teaching stories. I know there are lots. and I need more laughing (at you) in my life."

 

These words, posted in the usual loving manner by a singular well missed college roommate Vickie Chambers**, have inspired the creation of this blog.  It is therefore appropriately dedicated to the awkward stories generated during my first year of teaching high school science.  Well, let’s face it, the awkward stories that will continue to be generated during my entire teaching career, as long as I don’t get fired due to a shitty economy and the fad of using teachers as scapegoats for the horrid state of our nation’s education system.

Anyways, I have a lot of catching up to do, but let’s get to the teaching story of the day:
a)      Topic of the class period: introduction to acids and bases
b)      One property of acids and bases is that they are corrosive.  What does that mean class?
c)      One of my students decides that it would be a good idea to drink an acidic solution
d)      Me, right before he tries to chug from a beaker: “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”
e)      Student during aftermath: “Miss Fix is serious when she swears.” 

Ok, so the solution of HCl in the beaker after the antacid tablet was added was probably less acidic than the soda he chugged at lunch, but I’m a little worried about this generation.


**she really means laughing with me…at least that’s what I will pretend.  Also, Vickie is not allowed to comment on any grammatical errors in this blog.  I know it’s important, but I don’t teach grammar, and she knows that I often write run-ons.

4 comments:

  1. hahahahahahaha :) i like this, please continue documenting

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just made my day. RM, you're my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAAHHH!!! I REALLY wish I could sit in on one of your classes! lol What if I was there to "observe" you as a student teacher? lol

    ReplyDelete