You should write a blog dedicated to your awkward teaching stories. I know there are lots. and I need more laughing (at you) in my life.”

Monday, October 17, 2011

Homecoming

I have to write about homecoming.  This year I took up the responsibility of co-student council advisor, as the previous student council advisor decided to have a baby.  My last experience as a school representative was in middle school when I sang a campaign speech that landed me the secretary position- it was a bold move that paid off.  The point of that story is supposed to be that I have a very minimal knowledge of the position.  This is what I've gathered so far: being the student council advisor is one of the most stressful jobs ever because you're not supposed to do any of the work, but if any of it goes wrong, you are immediately to blame and, damn, there is a boatload of drama involved.
So I was relieved that homecoming went off without too many issues.  Here were some of the highlights, from least fun to most fun:

  • One student was nominated to homecoming court as a well-publicized joke. So glad she was a good sport about it.
  • Fiasco with shirt ordering, it should never be that hard to give people money.
  • I was in charge of getting the floats around the track.  Of course the first tractor stalled right in the middle
  • The floats were AWESOME.  The theme was superheroes and my favorite was the sophomore superman float.  I should have taken pictures.  However, the seniors won because they had service men and women, doctors, firemen, policemen, and teachers on their float, and who can not vote for those heroes? 
  • I decided to participate in the teacher tug-of-war at the homecoming pep rally.  Let me tell you, middle school teachers are tough.  We got our asses kicked.
  • Favorite: One of my klutziest homeroom kids pantomimed my tug-of-war skills, starting off with "Who am I?" And then falling straight on her ass.  It was so perfect. 
I am so glad it's over... until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment